Wow. So I just had my very first parent teacher conference. Ever. I didn't really know what to expect. I was nervous, excited, nervous. I felt like I had an advantage because I've known one of his teachers since I was a kid. In a way, maybe that made me even more nervous. To hear someone objectively talk about their observations of your child for the first time is an interesting thing. Ok, so it's just preschool. Here we go:
They observed that he is very active (we've all know that since he was born, right Mom?), loves to sing (his dad teaches him crazy rock songs), and is quite imaginative. Mild-mannered, doesn't cry or get mad very often. Soft-spoken. Great, wonderful, right?! No he doesn't sit down and write his name, like some 3 year-olds I know, but they said not to worry about that right now, he's fine....we'll, mostly fine.....
Are teachers required to voice concerns? Do they know it just makes parents worry more than they already do? So, they are concerned about his speech. His peers can't understand him probably 60% of the time. This also hurts socialization. They also worry about his comprehension. At times he answers questions completely off subject as if he only hears one word in a sentence and tries to figure out the question based on that word. (i.e. Lyndon, what do you want to learn about fall?, Lyndon- Why are there waterfalls?) We decided perhaps he needs his hearing tested. We have an appointment to see a speech pathologist on Tuesday.
Until then, I worry about him. And, strangely, I look foward to my next conference!
Oh, and for the record these are the things the TEACHERS say, not me....I certainly would not agree with the "doesn't cry or get mad very often" part. He must save it all up for me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Don't you just love that? Kohen's sitter regularly tells me how happy and cooperative he is only for me to get him in the car and for him to turn into the Devil himself. Guess I'm glad he's at least nice to her!
Emily does similar things great a school, little miss attitude with me. Lovely.
That's good your conference actually told you something. I got a report from Emily's school. In the comments they said she had a nice smile. Awesome. That was very helpful!
Post a Comment