Back to KU Med for another appointment with Sandy, our absolutely wonderful audiologist. Thursday was the big day we'd been waiting for. The hearing aids were in.....and Lyndon did great. I'm not just saying that either. He sat there while Sandy, Chris, and I all put them in his ears, took them out, tested them, talked about them, etc. He never took them out, cried, or threw them across the room. Sandy even commented on how wonderful he did. He also got a elephant puppet and a book about an elephant getting hearing aids. Super cool. His hearing aids are Phonak Versatas - if anyone knows stuff about hearing aids and was wondering. I also got to talk to Dr. Staecker about the results of the CT scan and the bloodwork. Bloodwork - they didn't find anything. CT scan - His semi-circular canals are underdeveloped. Semi-circular canals' main function is balance. Evidently studies have come out that show underdeveloped parts of the inner ear are related to sensorineural hearing loss. This is one of those parts.
So, KU Med - success.
Oh, and I took pictures. I'll post them later tonight.
Once we got home he wore them all night, no problem. He asked a couple of times to take them off, but we told him not until bed time and he didn't fight it. He actually wanted his hearing aids to sleep next to him last night, so once he fell asleep I grabbed them, cleaned them, and put them back next to him (in their dehumidifier). This morning when he woke up he was all about putting them back on and getting to school. He couldn't wait to show his friends. I hope everything went well at school. Kids can be mean.
Bottom line - he's doing well - for now. The novelty will likely wear off shortly and the real battle will begin. Let's hope not. Keep your fingers crossed.
We haven't noticed a behavioral change in him or change in his speech at this point. I think that comes with time. He does say that he can hear better and did mention that the cars running in the driveway were loud this morning when we left for school. He also wouldn't stop talking, singing to himself, and just generally making noises once he got them on at KU Med. So cute.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
This is such WONDERFUL news!!! And he LOVES to hear himself talk! That is so cute! He must get that from Mr. Matt. :)(But Mr. Matt isn't so cute when he talks all of the time. :))
I'm glad everything was such a success and that Lyndon is adjusting so well! What a cool little guy.
Great News! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what he blossoms into now that he can hear.
I'm so glad to hear that it all went well. Hopefully these will make a big long term difference.
Post a Comment