I am very fortunate to have very caring, generous people in my life. Today I was lucky enough to meet with an old friend's ex-wife who happens to be an audiologist at KU Med, Sandy. I spoke to her on Monday and she was able to get me in to meet with her and a doctor at KU Med this morning. I'm sure she had to pull some strings for this to occur. I appreciate her beyond words. It is such a comfort to be able to go to someone you know about medical problems. She is so willing to help and has spent so much time already answering all of my questions. So, the verdict....yes, to everything - he needs hearing aids, it is permanent, we need to try to figure out why he has hearing loss (I tried to insist there wasn't a point, but Dr. Staecker and Sandy disagreed). We got blood drawn today and Lyndon is scheduled for a CT scan on Tuesday. They don't think he'll need to be anesthesized, which is great. We also got Lyndon fitted for his ear molds today. These go in your ear and the hearing aid attaches to it. Interesting fact - Roughly everytime his shoe size increases, he'll need new molds. Luckily KU Medwest is right by our house! Anyway - Sandy said she'll try to get them back quickly, so we can get him his hearing aids the same day as his CT scan, but generally it takes two weeks to get molds, so I doubt we'll get them in 1 week. I certainly appreciate her trying.
Lyndon is doing great through all of this. He pays very good attention during the "hearing games" and even did great with getting his blood drawn. We are also pumping him up for his hearing aids, so keep your fingers crossed for him on this new great adventure!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm sorry about the outcome, but I'm glad you finally got all your questions answered. Lyndon sounds like he's been a trooper and will continue to be once he gets his hearing aids. I bet you'll see such remarkable changes in him once he's able to hear properly... it'll make everything OK.
P.S. Love the fall pictures! I'm sad that those days are probably behind us for a while. :(
P.S.S. Hooray Barack!!
I totally forgot she worked there--nice to have connections! You guys are doing a great job getting Lyndon psyched for his new "ears"
I'll be interested to hear about the outcome of the tests. Have they given you any possible causes they're looking for?
How nice you got to work with Sandy. At least now you have a plan and can get him on track. A good thing you caught this early.
That's wild about needing a new mold so often.
Post a Comment