Wednesday, November 26, 2008

CT Scan Results! ....sort of.....

Well, we finally heard from the doctor with Lyndon's CT scan and blood work results. uhh, sort of .... I say sort of because my wonderful husband took the call. In my world the husband is a little (lot) less detail-oriented than me. When I talk to the doctors I take notes so as to not miss anything and to enable me to google anything I didn't fully understand later. This enables me to probably overeducate myself about my son's condition, but hey, it's my baby, and I want to know everything I can. So, without further delay - here is what Chris relayed to me from the doctor:
  • He can still play sports (whew, I was SO worried about that ....wait, no I wasn't....)
  • One part of his inner ear never fully developed (nope, I don't know WHAT part)
  • He definitely needs hearing aids (great! they are already ordered and we get them next week!)

I suppose my point is, well, I'll be asking a lot of questions at our appointment with Sandy (audiologist) next week. Hopefully she'll have the answers in our file. The bloodwork (according the my wonderful, loving husband) was not discussed.

Upon further investigation into why the sports thing was mentioned I found that CT scans often detect Large Vestibular Aqueduct Syndrome (LVAS) which causes hearing loss to worsen if a head trauma occurs (sometimes something as small as a soccer ball on the head can worsen it). When a child has LVAS contact sports are a big no no. So, I guess we learned he doesn't have that.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I'm sure you are so relieved to learn he can still play sports! Really, that's great. It sounds like this won't affect his life much at all. I saw these cute things online (of course, I've totally lost the link) for some cute things that go on hearing aids for kids.

I had to laugh about the information Chris gave you...that's totally what Brandon would say...he'd just be focused on the sports issue.

Glad things are looking up!
Have a great Thanksgiving!